Friday, April 01, 2005

tUrNiNg tHe LiGhTs dOwN LoW


I remember the first time I cried my heart out for this song; Bob Marley's version of "Turn Your Lights Down Low". It was already sunrise and I could see its rays seeping through the opening in the curtains back in ma old house. I fell asleep listening to the song the night before and woke up to it when the alarm rang that morning. I think I was supposed to go to class at that time...the last day of my tormenting 7am-9pm class schedule that happens once a week. I had to finish and submit everything so I'd pass the term...but I stayed in bed, all day. God, it was this feeling of remorse that came over me, wishing that I could just remain hidden behind the curtains and just stay out of the sun's rays that almost cut the room in two, like a vampire hidden in the shadows...but yeah, like them say: there are bills to pay, and trains to catch, words to say, and eggs to hatch...bwahahahaha... that's the lamest rhyme I've heard in my entire life. Well, next to my friend's neverending quest to perfect the hippity-hop lingo, that is.

Right... where was I? I'm listening to the song's jazz version right now, off Lee Ritenour's produced album way, way back in 2001 (A Twist of Marley). Actually, it makes me relax, not all tensed up and wishing to cry my heart out once again.

There's a line that goes "You know I love you and I want you to know right now 'cos I want to give you some love. I want to give you some good, good looooovin'..." The song is so relaxin' you don't ever want it to end. Well, I don't. It's been on loop for more than a day while I do my acad stuff.

Thinking back to that time when I was crying my heart out, I'm not sure if I was all tearful because of the lyrics or was it just because of the melancholic beat of the song? Is it because it's about a love that you want to give, but no one's worthy enough to receive it?

... or do I mean no one stays long enough to receive it entirely?

Yeah...I think that sounded almost right.

-------------------------------------------------------
The moon calls me from beneath the yielding stars,
the rain slowly engulfing me in its wretched embrace.
-------------------------------------------------------